Adding SecDir back to this thread.

>Martin Thomson <m...@lowentropy.net> Tue, 19 May 2020 01:02 UTCShow header
>
>On Tue, May 19, 2020, at 07:08, Rifaat Shekh-Yusef wrote:
>>    it provides the client of the API
>>    an opportunity to authenticate the server that is hosting the API.
>>    This authentication is aimed at *allowing a user to be reasonably
>>    confident that the entity providing the Captive Portal API has a
>>    valid certificate for the hostname in the URI*
>[...]
>> An end user should be able to validate that the name is example.com and
>> not any other form of the URI.
>> It would be much more difficult for the end user to make sense and
>> validate an IP address.
>
>I think that you missed the point of my comments.  This validation,
performed by
>a user, has no meaningful security value.  The text you cite says that the
server
>has a certificate for the name it chooses, which is not the same as "has a
certificate
>for a name the client expects".  The difference is important.

This is not the way I read these statements from section 4.1 titled *Server
Authentication*.

Here is the use case I have in mind when I read this section:
If I walk into an airport and I see an ad for a paid Internet service from
example.com, then as an
end user it is reasonable to expect that I would have some ability to make
sense of the name
presented to me and make sure it is from example.com if I choose to get
such a service.

If this is not the case, then yo might want to make it clear that this is
not about *Server Authentication*
as the title of the section and the text inside that section is suggesting.

Regards,
 Rifaat

>In a typical web scenario, a person types a string in and (ignore the case
where there
>is an extra hop via a search engine) that string determines what is
acceptable as a
>server identity.  The exposure to confusables is limited (under a set of
other assumptions,
>HSTS, etc...).  Here, the network has free reign to do as they choose with
homoglyphs and
>other such nonsense.  Any expectation you might have about this really
being a trustworthy
>entity is meaningless in this context.
>
>There are protections against this, but they all lie firmly in the
anti-phishing domain.
>Most of those rely on having a certificate though, so the requirement for
HTTPS is in