> On Jun 11, 2020, at 6:38 AM, Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker
> <nore...@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-capport-api-07: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-capport-api/

> DISCUSS:
>
> Section 4.1:
>
>   The API server endpoint MUST be accessed using HTTP over TLS (HTTPS)
>   and SHOULD be served on port 443 [RFC2818].
>
> I have another reason than Roman to discuss this particular sentence.
>
> First of all what is the intention of which HTTP version should be supported
> here? And which protocol are the port 443 you are recommending, TCP, UDP or
> SCTP? This also relates to HTTP/3 as it is getting close to being published,
> we
> can expect that in the future maybe people would like to upgrade to HTTP/3.
> Already now I am wondering if the written allow for HTTP/2 over TLS/TCP? Note,
> that I am mostly commenting from the perspective if you want to be specific
> that it is HTTP/1.1. over TLS/TCP that is the goal. Then this document should
> make certain changes in the formulation. If you want to be unspecific and
> don't
> think that will hurt interoperability, then another formulation that the
> current is also needed. Likely also a discussion about how a client will
> figure
> out what versions are supported.

This is an interesting point. In my interpretation, this text does apply to
HTTP/1.1 over TLS/TCP,
HTTP/2 over TLS/TCP, and HTTP/3 over QUIC (which uses TLS for encryption, still
uses port 443,
and still maintains the URI scheme of https://).

> And maybe one of the ART ADs can help untangle if RFC 2818 really is the right
> normative reference here? Or if it should be RFC 7230 and possibly additional
> references for HTTP/2?

Looking at RFCs like the one for DoH,
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8484.html
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8484.html>, RFC 2818 is still
the reference for https:

over HTTP
   [RFC7540] using https [RFC2818] URIs (and therefore TLS [RFC8446]
   security for integrity and confidentiality).

My suggestion is that we can reword the sentence in question here to:

  The API server endpoint MUST be accessed over HTTP using an https URI
[RFC2818],
  and SHOULD be served on port 443.

Does that work for everyone?

Thanks,