Hi,

Internal means WSO2 user manager owns the role and has the right to manage
it, basically edit it and delete it as it wish. External means WSO2 user
manager does not own the role, it only reads the role.

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Hasini Gunasinghe <has...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the understanding that I have regarding this. Please correct if
> anything is wrong.
>
> Differentiation of roles as external or internal is based on whether we
> manage user roles in the user store itself or in internal UM database in a
> hybrid manner.
>
> For an example, we find the above use case with LDAP user store where we
> can either manage roles in LDAP itself or in internal JDBC database in a
> hybrid manner (basically when user store is read only).
>
> In that case, internal role means: if a role is managed in internal UM
> database in a hybrid manner.
>                    external role means: if a role is managed in LDAP user
> store - can be either embedded LDAP or external LDAP.

Roles defined in embedded LDAP are not external.

It really doesn't matter whether the underlying implementation is JDBC or
LDAP. Users should not be worrying about underlying implementation.

tx,
dimuthul