+1 for keeping the size small and for using P2 properly.

Nuwan, aren't we already using the dashboard component in (almost) all
products already? If so this is not a net increase in size but simply
enabling gadgets to be used in any page without having to have the entire
page be full of gadgets isn't it? If so that seems like a nice improvement
for me.

In any case, if the feature is available for anyone interested to use and
people use it then we can look at whether we want to have it in the core.

Azeez, would it also make sense to look at having 2 core variations- one for
servers which want a console and one for pure runtime servers? For example
AS worker nodes don't need any of these bundles ... so once we get to the
bundle pool + startup by installing what's needed mode the size will become
minified automatically.

Sanjiva.

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Afkham Azeez <az...@wso2.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Nuwan Bandara <nu...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tharindu,
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Tharindu Mathew <thari...@wso2.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Nuwan, can we make this available to whoever has the dashboard feature
>>> without increasing the core size?
>>

>> Can be done, but not sure if that actually achieve our objective. my-idea
>> was to push this feature for platform wide UI, so developers can create
>> gadget with their own UI components and have them inside the JSPs across
>> other components.
>>

> Carbon core has become bulky due to such features unnecessarily getting
> pushed into the core. We need to get the product sizes back to the sub 100MB
> region. Even when it comes to products, we should not unnecessarily include
> features by default. We must let users effectively use the P2 repo to
> install whatever they need.
>

>> Regards,
>> /Nuwan

>>> carbon core also moved out. So, please don't add anything new.

>>> sure it

>>> Adding

>>> size
>>> before