Hi wangzhiwei,

I'm a little confused by the question.  There mention of area size and scales
hints that there might be a confusion between tools used for quantification /
significance testing and those used for display purposes.

Freesurfer has its own tools for significance testing, so you could use those.
We often use threshold-free cluster enhancement for that purpose, which finds
the significance threshold.  Suprathreshold area can be computed once this
threshold has been determined.

But usually when I make a figure, I generate border around the suprathreshold
regions and display these bordersover the "real" t- or f-map, using a scale
that corresponds to my alpha (e.g., .05) divided by two (since I usually do
both right and left hem tests).  I compute this t or f-stat using my n /
degrees of freedom.

So the significance testing and display steps are separate, the way I do it.

Now you might not be going as far as significance testing.  Sometimes you just
want to look at some preliminary data -- particularly for a single subject.  A
good start might be to understand if this is a single subject, group results,
what kind of statistic.

And certainly not everyone does this the way I do, so it would be helpful for
others to weigh in with their viewpoints/conventions.

Donna