Thanks! but alas, I am not quite off the ground yet. But I feel like it is
just a little detail somewhere I'm missing. So in
cas-gradle-overlay-template I made src/main/resources/templates. Just to be
quick and easy I copied the entire templates directory from the repo
listed. So I should have every possible template. I added what appeared to
be the appropriate settings:

spring.thymeleaf.prefix=classpath:/templates/
> cas.view.cas2.success=protocol/2.0/casServiceValidationSuccess
> cas.view.cas3.success=protocol/3.0/casServiceValidationSuccess

I added <!-- sucess! --> to the two views listed above, but my change
didn't show up so far as I could tell.

I tried classpath:/templates, and that didn't seem to do anything. When I
was working with the service registry and the associated json files it
copied the /services/ directory over in the process of building, but that
was because it was in etc/cas/config. Incidentally I tried adding the
templates directory to that directory. This also didn't appear to have any
effect. So I changed the property to
spring.thymeleaf.prefix=file:/etc/cas/config/templates, this seems to have
worked, but now if I don't include every template blows up instead of using
the default one.