Hey Ray,

this was just an example. We actually used the property to set the JSON
registry location for testing:

cas.service-registry.json.location=file:etc/cas/services

Also, Docker is in use and then you end up with something like that

1) docker run --rm -it -v $PWD/etc/cas/config:/etc/cas/config cas:latest

[...]
2020-06-25 12:45:14,401 WARN [org.apereo.cas.web.CasWebApplicationContext]
- <Exception encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh
attempt: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'jsonServiceRegistry' defined in class path
resource [org/apereo/cas/config/JsonServiceRegistryConfiguration.class]:
Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate
[org.apereo.cas.services.ServiceRegistry]: Factory method
'jsonServiceRegistry' threw exception; nested exception is
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: /cas-overlay/etc/cas/services does not
exist>

Configuration from the application-production.properties is used with value
'/cas-overlay/etc/cas/services'

2a) docker run --rm -it -v $PWD/etc/cas/config:/etc/cas/config -e
cas.service-registry.json.location=file:/foobar cas:latest
2b) docker run --rm -it -v $PWD/etc/cas/config:/etc/cas/config -e
CAS.SERVICE_REGISTRY_JSON_LOCATION=file:/foobar cas:latest

We got the same result as above. The environment variable is not respected.

3) Same commands as above but we commented out
'cas.service-registry.json.location'
in the properties file

[...]
2020-06-25 12:47:48,725 WARN [org.apereo.cas.web.CasWebApplicationContext]
- <Exception encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh
attempt: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'jsonServiceRegistry' defined in class path
resource [org/apereo/cas/config/JsonServiceRegistryConfiguration.class]:
Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate
[org.apereo.cas.services.ServiceRegistry]: Factory method
'jsonServiceRegistry' threw exception; nested exception is
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: /foobar does not exist>

Only now, the environment variable's value is respected...

Very strange.