Hello,
MDQ metadata endpoint is basically one huge XML file (or a set of small ones) with SAML metadata of various organizations, in this case, members of InCommon community.
MDQ as a technical standard is an IETF thing.

But what it means for CAS and Mgmt apps... https://apereo.github.io/cas/6.5.x/installation/Configuring-SAML2-DynamicMetadata.html - When you are creating a SAML registration in Mgmt app, the Mgmt app can give you a choice of ready-made SAML metadata configurations because it downloaded them upon its startup. - CAS does not need to store the SAML metadata locally, it can gather them from MDQ endpoint. This implies that CAS administrator doesn't need to manage local metadata files of various connected 3rd parties. - If you cannot access InCommon MDQ, you cannot consume 3rd party SAML metadata automatically. So you are back to manual management of metadata XML files. That is all.

Other than automating tasks around SAML metadata upkeeping, there is no impact on the functionality.

However, even without proxy access, you can work around the issue. You can, for example, periodically download the metadata with wget and let CAS read the file locally or from some internal webserver. You have a property (mgmt.in-common-mdq-url) which you can configure, so if there is a will, there is a way. :) But I would do it only if you really desperately need to access the InCommon MDQ registry.

Cheers,
Fiisch