Thanks a lot for your reply Francois.

Dammit - that sucks that we both had such a poor experience!
I fear you might be right and I'll have to abandon the 300+ rules we've
built up over the years due to inadequate support and documentation; it's
not like they discontinued support for JPA - they just didn't provide any
support at all for migration, which feels worse!  It's like saying "Sure
you can do it, see all the cool things you can do" and not say how to do
it.
I'll give myself to the end of the week and "cut bait" if I can't find a
way out.  I'll reply if I should find anything of use.

Thanks again,
Trev