Thanks for the help Adam, I appreciate it.  I am trying to implement a
simple cas setup to auth against active directory using ldap.  I am assuming
that does not require a custom service registry definition?  So adding the
default bean definition back into the deployer xml should fix these issues?

Mark

add this back into the xml?

    <bean id="serviceRegistryDao"
class="org.jasig.cas.services.JpaServiceRegistryDaoImpl"
          p:entityManagerFactory-ref="entityManagerFactory"/>

    <!-- This is the EntityManagerFactory configuration for Hibernate -->
    <bean id="entityManagerFactory"
class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean">
        <property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource"/>
        <property name="jpaVendorAdapter">
            <bean
class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.HibernateJpaVendorAdapter">
                <property name="generateDdl" value="true"/>
                <property name="showSql" value="true"/>
            </bean>
        </property>
        <property name="jpaProperties">
            <props>
                <prop
key="hibernate.dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5Dialect</prop>
                <prop key="hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto">update</prop>
            </props>
        </property>
    </bean>

    <bean id="transactionManager"
class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.JpaTransactionManager">
        <property name="entityManagerFactory" ref="entityManagerFactory"/>
    </bean>

    <tx:annotation-driven transaction-manager="transactionManager"/>

<bean
                id="dataSource"
                class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource"
                p:driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
                p:url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test?autoReconnect=true"
                p:password=""
                p:username="sa" />
</beans>