Thanks, Marvin, for this suggestion. That does indeed seem to resolve the
PartialResultsException from bombing out the lookup, however, I'm not
getting the attributes mapped in the resultAttributeMapping.  Here is the
revised snippets from deployerConfigContext.xml

<bean id="attributeRepository"

 class="org.jasig.services.persondir.support.ldap.LdapPersonAttributeDao">
        <property name="ldapTemplate" ref="ldapTemplate" />
        <property name="baseDN" value="DC=xxxx,DC=xxx" />
        <property name="requireAllQueryAttributes" value="true" />

        <property name="queryAttributeMapping">
            <map>
                <entry key="username" value="sAMAccountName" />
            </map>
        </property>

        <property name="resultAttributeMapping">
            <map>
                <entry key="mail" value="EmailAddress" />
            </map>
        </property>
      </bean>

    <bean id="ldapTemplate"
class="org.springframework.ldap.core.LdapTemplate">
        <constructor-arg ref="contextSource" />
        <property name="ignorePartialResultException" value="true" />
    </bean>

In the logs, I can see LdapPersonAttributeDao encountering the (now ignored)
PartialResultException but the principal attributes map is never being
populated with the results of the query.

Thanks again,
Bill