>  11:42:18.547 - login-test-1 records service ticket creation
>  11:42:18.642 - login-test-2 records an attempt to use the service ticket
>  11:42:18.738 - mysql binary shows an INSERT for the ticket creation

*head explodes*

Service ticket creation is transactional by nature, yet the sequence
above seems to indicate that the ticket is returned and validated
prior to the end of the transaction started in the first step.
Assuming your timestamps across these three systems are close enough
such that the sequence above is in fact the real sequence of events,
it would indicate some inexplicable transaction handling behavior by
your database.  I'm not a MySQL expert, but I'd expect transaction
handling to behave as expected here, so that explanation is a long
shot.  I'd question clock synchronization long before I'd question
your database doing something boneheaded.  I can say the most common
cause of the error you cited is that the client fails to validate the
ticket before its expiration period, which is 10s by default (3.4.10
and recent versions anyway).