We're integrating Google Apps with our CAS SSO, and we're also using
uPortal. I'm trying to arrive at the right combination of availability and
security, and would appreciate any thoughts.

Currently, a user logged in to our portal can browse to mail.google.com and
be authenticated with their existing CAS ticket. That's fine. A user who is
not logged in to the portal can browse to mail.google.com, be redirected to
our CAS login, then redirected back to Google. The security problem is that
then, given our SSO environment, they are also authenticated at the portal
and will remain so until they close the browser, even though they never
"visited" the portal.

Other scenarios to get around the problem that I can imagine but am not
sure how to implement:

1) The user only gets SSO authentication at Google if they already
expressly logged in to the portal. Otherwise they must authenticate at
Google, or perhaps be directed to the portal log in (log in to the portal,
not just do CAS authentication).

2) If the user has not already expressly logged in to the portal, when they
browse to mail.google.com, they go through CAS authentication but get a
ticket that can only be used for Google -- i.e., they are not
simultaneously authenticated in the portal.

I'd appreciate hearing from others on this. Best practices? Did you go with
a different arrangement? Am I overlooking some basic CAS setup that would
solve the problem? I am new to both uPortal and CAS, so any level of advice
here would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ed

--