Ed,

You seem to be thinking about the CAS server customization such that SSO
sessions are initiated only when logging in to the portal.  Otherwise,
applications can use CAS for login, but doing so doesn't create SSO
sessions.

This can be a nice approach in that it helps users to understand, think
about their single sign-on session, and helps them to understand where they
might go to explicitly log out to end it.

I get the idea that a customization to only begin an SSO session when
logging into the portal is decently common -- I believe Rutgers is or was
doing this in their CAS server, for instance; it's something Unicon's done,
I believe, and that comes up in our CAS implementation plannings.

Otherwise, you might simply want the portal to opt-out of itself benefiting
from single sign-on by setting renew=true.  Logging in to the portal would
still create an SSO session.  Logging into Google Apps would still create
an SSO session.  Logging in to Google Apps (or anything else) wouldn't
yield a single sign-on session useful for logging in to the portal, though
-- in all cases users would have to authenticate explicitly for the purpose
of logging into the portal, whenever they log in to the portal.

That requires no customization and might scratch your immediate itch.

Kind regards,

Andrew