From: Andrew Morgan [mailto:mor...@orst.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:30 PM
To: cas-user@lists.jasig.org
Subject: RE: [cas-user] Public computer login and CAS

Sometime around Firefox 15 or 16, the behavior changed.  If you close
Firefox by clicking the [X] button on the window, when you re-open Firefox
all of your session cookies are still present.  If you close Firefox by
choosing File > Quit, when you re-open Firefox the cookies are gone.
However, if you choose History > Restore Previous Session, then all the
cookies and pages are restored.

If you know of a server-side way to prevent this, I'd love to hear it!

        Andy

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, Ohsie, David wrote:

> Andrew, my experience using firefox and chrome (and I think IE as well)
> access CAS protected applications differs.   If the cookies are set right
by
> the server, it is sufficient to kill the browser to force a new login.
>

> I'm not claiming that public internet terminals are safe or that there
> are no ways to exploit this, but I would say that if your application
> remains accessible after your browser is restarted, then you should be
> looking at your application setup and then your CAS setup to ensure
> that the cookies are set to expire upon the end of the session (and
> that the caching control is also set properly for sensitive pages).
> None of this is foolproof, but basic safeguards should be maintained.
>

> David Ohsie
>
> Software Architect
>
> EMC Corporation

to do this.  Most probably don't.