On 06/14/2013 11:59 AM, Peng Zhang wrote:
> Thanks for your input. I noticed on Jasig wiki that LDAP and your mentioned
> JAAS are two different options for configuring CAS authentication. However,
> we need to set up our CAS to check user credentials against our LDAP
> directory. Did you actually rebuild the CAS by using Maven2? I skipped this
> step and directly deployed the modules/cas-server-webapp-3.5.1.war into
> Tomcat container. But the CAS failed to start in Tomcat after I tried  to
> configure deployerConfigContext.xml based on their documents. I am currently
> working with our system team to install maven and then try rebuilding the CAS
> project in case it generates more dependencies in the war bundle.

Right two different options that, for authentication (only), do +/- the
same thing.

I use the overlay method (*) to generate cas.war. I'm not certain (well,
don't know) if directly copying the cas-server-webapp war would work.
* https://wiki.jasig.org/x/sgKkAQ

As I recall, if one wants to go the JAAS route, the Maven pom needs
cas-server-core, though that might be automatically included as a
dependency by cas-server-webapp (I'm no Maven maven).

My motivation for leaning toward JAAS this time around is we're already
using it for CAS over Kerberos. No diss to Kerberos itself, but rather
the way it's being managed locally, I ran across problems with it being
able to keep up during (full) replication events, hence my looking
toward LDAP (which didn't have that issue). During transition I think
we'll configure JAAS primarily against LDAP, with a
fall-through/failover to Kerberos until we're satisfied with the
webapp's behavior.

Tom.