From: Linda Toth [mailto:ltt...@alaska.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:38 PM
To: cas-user@lists.jasig.org
Subject: [cas-user] Socket error at high volumes

Good afternoon

We have recently implemented SSO for Banner 8 via CAS.  Our LDAP repository is
AD.  We are running one CAS server and are now in the process of load testing
the capability of CAS to match the load volume tested when using only Banner
BEIS authentication.

The tests are set up through WebLOAD.  The tests are designed by setting a
fixed number of virtual users who attempt to log in at the same time.  The
tests start at 100, then 200, 250, 275, and 300.  At 275 simultaneous attempts
to login, the WebLOAD tool receives many Internal 500 errors.

Some on the team assess the situation as an indication that CAS can not keep up
with the load.  Others suspect the tool itself, which must now contend with
browser redirects while simulating a high volume of users.

Which ever the case, I do know that there are no issues in volume connections
to AD.  All LDAP authentication steps are made.

The Socket failure messages take the following form, but not always at the
exact same juncture:

2013-09-05 07:40:39,174 DEBUG [org.jasig.cas.web.support.SamlArgumentExtractor]
- Extractor generated service for: https://<server>.alaska.edu:443/<target>
2013-09-05 07:40:39,178 ERROR
[org.jasig.cas.web.view.Saml10SuccessResponseView] -
ClientAbortException:  java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

2013-09-05 07:40:42,235 ERROR
[org.jasig.cas.web.view.Saml10SuccessResponseView] -
ClientAbortException:  java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

Ellucian, when Atlassian, indicated this error was not fatal, however, our team
is seeking a definite assurance that a single CAS server can manage such high
volumes during peak times when login attempts can exceed 2000 in the first five
minutes.

Has anyone tested the upper limits of simultaneous CAS logins in a
tomcat/apache configuration?

Linda

PS
I also should mention that our team has not been interested in using tomcat
8443, but instead uses 443.  Personally, I do not see a special advantage to
doing it this way, but there it is.  I am forwarding how our SA suspects the
socket failures are occurring:

Apache's default timeout is 300 seconds.  Red Hat reduces the connection
timeout for Apache to 60 seconds.  Most users aren't going to wait more than 10
seconds, anyway.  If tomcat does not respond to Apache before that timeout,
Apache will close the connection and log the timeout expired messages David
mentioned.  When tomcat tries to respond after Apache has closed the connection
it will throw a SocketException with the message "Broken Pipe".
--
You are currently subscribed to cas-user@lists.jasig.org as: tffi...@bgsu.edu