Hmm, that's the impression I got after a meeting with Unicon, perhaps
I misunderstood them.

I believe Unicon steers folks away from SAML. I believe it's motivated in some cases by the need to support proxying with attribute release, which SAML 1.1 does not support. If they used the word "deprecated," then that would be incorrect. It's supported now and for the foreseeable future.

In any case, it looks like the client I'm trying to get to work
(ezproxy) doesn't support SAML :(, so I'm stuck with unofficial CAS
2.0 attributes.

Understood.

Did you by any chance have the opportunity to look at the other email
I sent on this subject as far as whether or not the variable within
the jsp file has already been flattened, or if there is the potential
to tweak the jsp to iterate over it and generate separate entries for
each value rather than flatten it?

You mean this:

<cas:attributes>
<cas:csupomonaEduPersonAffiliation>[a, b, c]</cas:csupomonaEduPersonAffilication>
</cas:attributes>

I admit that doesn't look correct but I'm not certain. What reference did you follow for customizing the casServiceValidationSuccess.jsp file?