From: Marvin Addison [mailto:marvin.addi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 10:16 AM
To: cas-user@lists.jasig.org
Subject: Re: [cas-user] Need to clear browser cookies in order to login

> I’ve beefed up my servlet session timeout to 7200 (... 5 full days).

That amount of beef may lead to coronary problems.

> when they submit the login form, the form just resets and clears the
> username/password field instead of authenticating them and
> redirecting. Thoughts?

The behavior you have cited is by design under an expired session
condition: when a user posts credentials to an expired flow (backed by the
session), a new flow is created and the user ends back up at the initial flow
state which is an empty login form. In most cases simply entering credentials
and posting them allows login to proceed. I understand you to say that an empty
login form is repeatedly displayed on every attempt to post credentials; is
that correct? In any case there's some evidence the servlet session is expired
despite your extreme timeout.

I should note that your session timeouts are well beyond anything we might
encounter in a test environment. The default on Tomcat is 30 minutes; we have
gone as high as 4 hours. 5 days is arguably ridiculous. What problem are you
trying to solve with such extreme session timeouts? I'm hopeful treating the
root problem instead of the symptoms may be more fruitful.