From: Rachel [mailto:rachel_b...@taylor.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:42 PM
To: cas-user@lists.jasig.org
Subject: [cas-user] CAS War Overlay "'principal' cannot be null."

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade from 3.4.10 to 3.5.1 and move to the war overlay method
at the same time. I've got it most of the way set up, but when I try add ldap
authentication I run into trouble. I've included errors and config information
below. Any help would be appreciated.

Rachel Bird
Enterprise Systems Analyst
Taylor University
236 West Reade Avenue
Upland, Indiana 46989-0001
Office: 765-998-5504

I'm able to load CAS, but when I try to log in, I get a page with the following
error:

{"failure":"true","exception.message":"org.springframework.webflow.execution.ActionExecutionException:
 Exception thrown executing [AnnotatedAction@fd99557 targetAction =
[EvaluateAction@15db8ae2 expression =
authenticationViaFormAction.submit(flowRequestContext, flowScope.credentials,
messageContext), resultExpression = [null]], attributes = map[[empty]]] in
state 'realSubmit' of flow 'login' -- action execution attributes were
'map[[empty]]'","exception.stacktrace":"org.springframework.webflow.execution.ActionExecutionException:
 Exception thrown executing [AnnotatedAction@fd99557 targetAction =
[EvaluateAction@15db8ae2 expression =
authenticationViaFormAction.submit(flowRequestContext, flowScope.credentials,
messageContext), resultExpression = [null]], attributes = map[[empty]]] in
state 'realSubmit' of flow 'login' -- action execution attributes were
'map[[empty]]'\r\n\tat
org.springframework.webflow.execution.ActionExecutor.execute(ActionExecutor.java:60)\r\n\tat

org.springframework.webflow.engine.ActionState.doEnter(ActionState.java:101)\r\n\tat
[shorted for brevity]

At the same time, I get the following in cas-stout:

WHO: [username: rachel_bird]
WHAT: 'principal' cannot be null.
Check the correctness of @Audit annotation at the following audit point:
execution(public abstract org.jasig.cas.authentication.Authentication
org.jasig.cas.authentication.AuthenticationManager.authenticate(org.jasig.cas.authentication.principal.Credentials))
ACTION: TICKET_GRANTING_TICKET_NOT_CREATED
APPLICATION: CAS
WHEN: Thu Jul 17 10:33:55 EDT 2014
CLIENT IP ADDRESS: [client IP]
SERVER IP ADDRESS: [server IP]

Here is what I believe is the relevant portion of my deployerConfigContext:

        <bean id="authenticationManager"
                class="org.jasig.cas.authentication.AuthenticationManagerImpl">

                <property name="credentialsToPrincipalResolvers">
                        <list>
                                <bean
class="org.jasig.cas.authentication.principal.UsernamePasswordCredentialsToPrincipalResolver"

                                        <property name="attributeRepository"
ref="attributeRepository" />
                                </bean>
                                <bean

class="org.jasig.cas.authentication.principal.HttpBasedServiceCredentialsToPrincipalResolver"
 />
                        </list>
                </property>

                <property name="authenticationHandlers">
                        <list>
                                <bean
class="org.jasig.cas.authentication.handler.support.HttpBasedServiceCredentialsAuthenticationHandler"
                                        p:httpClient-ref="httpClient" />
                                <bean

class="org.jasig.cas.adaptors.ldap.BindLdapAuthenticationHandler"
                                        p:filter="sAMAccountName=%u"
                                        p:searchBase="[OU with distinguished
path]"
                                        p:contextSource-ref="contextSource" />

                        </list>
                </property>
        </bean>

        <bean id="contextSource"
class="org.springframework.ldap.core.support.LdapContextSource">
                <property name="anonymousReadOnly" value="false" />
                <property name="password" value="**********" />
                <property name="pooled" value="false" />
                <property name="urls" value="ldaps://[domain]:636" />
                <property name="userDn" value="[CN with distinguished path]" />
                <property name="baseEnvironmentProperties">
                        <map>
                                <entry key="java.naming.security.protocol"
value="jndi" />
                                <entry
key="java.naming.security.authentication" value="simple" />
                        </map>
                </property>
        </bean>

        <bean id="attributeRepository"

class="org.jasig.services.persondir.support.StubPersonAttributeDao">
                <property name="backingMap">
                        <map>
                                <entry key="uid" value="uid" />
                                <entry key="eduPersonAffiliation"
value="eduPersonAffiliation" />
                                <entry key="groupMembership"
value="groupMembership" />
                        </map>
                </property>
        </bean>

The information in this communication is intended solely for the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or reliance on the contents of this information is
strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to the
sender of this email, and then delete it from your system. Taylor University is
not liable for the inaccurate or improper transmission of the information
contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.