Hi Chris,

Building on Milt's suggestion, would .htaccess files in each directory you want
to allow specific users access to work? We run a pretty centralized webserver
environment but allow auth overrides for our site owners (in the global Apache
config).

This way, our users can create .htaccess files (example below) to restrict
access to directories they control without us making changes to the global
config. There are probably better (and less performance impactful) ways.

Example:
User1
User2

wwwroot/Directory1
wwwroot/Directory2

If we want User1 and User2 to have access to Directory1, we would place the
following in a .htaccess file in Directory1:

AuthType CAS
require user User1
require user User2

If we want only User2 to have access to Directory2, we would place the
following in a .htaccess file in Directory2:

AuthType CAS
require user User2

If you need to "nest" permissions, you can user Satisfy Any to break up the
"inheritance" (Apache reads through .htacccess files from the requested dir
back to the root of the site) - so if a .htaccess file is in /dir/dir1, a
request for /dir/dir1/dir2/dir3 would be allowed/disallowed based on the
user(s) found in .htaccess in dir1.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for but figured I would share.

Thanks,
-Neil