Misagh,
Thanks for your reply!  However, I might need significantly more schooling
on how to do this..

I tried googling around for some hints, but saw a mish-mash of .properties
and .xml files and didn¹t know where to start.

So I tried a stab in the dark, adding to
webapps/cas/WEB-INF/cas.properties:

log4j.org.jasig.cas=DEBUG

And restarted tomcat

However, I didn¹t get anything new in the logs, the same basic error
AUTHENTICATION_FAILED and no detail how to resolve itŠ

Please advise
Thanks!
Phil