Hello CAS developers,

I have an idea about how to make CAS highly available (HA) without
doing Service Ticket/Proxy (Granting) Ticket (ST and PT) replication,
so I would like to propose it to you all and see what you think.

First, let me start off by saying that I think it is still wise to
replicate TGTs, especially considering replicating TGTs can withstand
very high latencies (several seconds or more). Actually, the latency
tolerance for TGTs is such that you could even replicate them in LDAP
if you wanted to (which does replication very well, and securely).

So, my proposal for "replicating" STs and PTs is as follows: Make each
CAS server aware of its peers, and use the CAS protocol itself for
validating tickets. I will try to clarify this with an example:

The simplest scenario is 2 CAS servers -- CAS1 and CAS2 -- (but this
scales to n CAS servers). Each CAS server has a list of all the CAS
servers in the cluster (using "cluster" for lack of a better term),
including itself. When a CAS server (CAS1) receives a ST or PT for
validation, it simply looks at the ticket to determine where the
ticket originated (this is done by inspecting the end of the ticket
value which will have the hostname of the originating CAS server
appended to it -- just as tickets do now). If the ticket originated
with itself (CAS1), it handles the validation like normal. If the
ticket originated with another CAS server (CAS2), the CAS1 server now
becomes a CAS client and asks CAS2 to do the validation (using the CAS
protocol), and then CAS1 just passes the response right back to the
client as if it (CAS1) had done the validation.

That's it. This whole concept could probably be implemented in the
CentralAuthenticationService class.

Of course, this concept scales to n CAS servers, but I do not know the
throughput of even doing this with just 2 CAS servers. But this
certainly makes CAS HA without a lot of extra baggage. The local ST
and PT ticket registry can be implemented in memcache or even a DB but
the nice thing about it is that they do not have to be replicated. As
I said in the beginning, the TGTs could be stored in something like
LDAP which does replication very well, but it is not fast enough for
STs and PTs.

Please let me know what you think and/or if you need more clarification.

Thanks.

-lucas

Lucas Rockwell
CalNet Team