This is complaining about the statefile (ifstate) not being writeable. This is probably a problem with your filesystem. Are you using an NFS filesystem? is it mounted R/W, or Read-only?

BTW, now that I've seen your interfaces file, I suspect the reason your interface is not coming up automatically is because you've left out the "auto eth0" line...

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address 192.168.1.36
  netmask 255.255.255.0