From: John Ford [mailto:jf...@nrao.edu]
Sent: Saturday, 8 November 2008 12:33 AM
To: Cheng, Wan (ATNF, Marsfield)
Cc: casper@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [casper] Question on control software on the ROACH

> Hi all:
>
> I just could not find any documents in casper web site talking about the
> control software running in the PowerPC.
>
> So my first question is how can I use the interface between FPGA and
> PowerPC? For example, how can I design a block memory which can be written
> by ADC module and can be read by PowerPC?

You use the yellow blocks.  They have built-in software modules that get
loaded into the tinyshell running on the board.  For more info, build the
ibob flashing-lights tutorial, then use bee_xps to build it.  Then look
through the directories created by the build process.  You will see C code
that has been set up and linked into the shell for you to access.  On an
ibob, you can use either a direct serial cable or, if you include the lwip
block, a telnet interface to the shell.  The software register block is
another yellow block used to directly get or set a register in the FPGA
fabric.

I highly recommend spending the time to go through all the video lectures
for an overview of all the tools.

For your specific example request, use the ADC block --> shared BRAMS,
which you can then read with the PPC.  You'll need an address counter, and
a bit to arm/reset the counter.  See the snap block for an example from
the library.  (You could also just use a snap block on each ADC output...)

> The second question is there are only external PowerPC on the ROACH. So
> the PowerPC firmware can not be loaded by FPGA bitstream. So how the
> PowerPC firmware will be loaded in the ROACH? How the software will be
> customized according the FPGA configuration?

Excellent question!  I'd like to know this, too, but I think it will just
work, like the rest of the system does now...

> The third question is I can not find ROACH software fold. Anybody could
> tell me when it could be available?

It will be done soon, I think.  But it's not yet released!  It will be
supported under the 10.1 Xilinx tool release.

John