hi homin,

the 16 input FFT  takes twice as many resources as an 8 input FFT.
(the 16 input FFT has 16 parallel inputs so it can compute fft's at 16 times the fpga clock rate).

this factor of two expansion in fpga resources is largely independent of the input data bit width, because almost all the computation in the FFT is done with 18 bit
arithmetic, independent of the data input bit width.

a few years ago, dave macmahon developed a "bit growth" biplex FFT that
grows the number of bits each butterfly stage. eg: if you start with 4 bit data, and do a 1K FFT, you need 10 stages - the first stage is done with 4 bit precision, then 5 bits, then 6 bits....., then 13 bit precision in the last stage. this bit growth is needed to accomodate dynamic range increase as one goes from time to frequency
domain.

you could use dave's biplex bit growth FFT in the 16 input FFT (since the 16 bit FFT
is largely made of biplex FFT's), and this will save FPGA resources.

best wishes,

dan