Hi CASPER friends,

I worked for a few days on a old project available on
http://casper.berkeley.edu/svn/trunk/projects/, the 'rmspec', to develop a
new SETI spectrometer based on the ROACH hardware. A have a lot of
questions hoping to find an answer at least in some of these...

1. Who is the designer?
2. Has this project been never updated with the current libraries?

I have tried to upload in the ROACH the available compiled boffile but
with no success. Opening the mdl file I have replaced all green blocks
that were obsolete (PFB-FFT, FFT), and finally the compilation has been
succesfully executed but is still not working.

I have modified a string in the plot_scripts regarding the GNUPLOT
configuation ("set style data lines" instead of "set data style lines",
it's a minor changes maybe due to a new gnuplot version...).
The script which get data at the first stage (pfb output) is working well,
but the FULL one is not working.

I have added some debugging signals in the model file at the end of each
top level block and it seems the the project is stack at the end of the
BUF block. This block contains the yellow DRAM block, their properties and
help documentation seem to be very obsolete and designe for the BEE2, but
I assume they are still valid for the ROACH.

I realized that my ROACH did not have a RAM memory on the FPGA DIMM slot,
therefore I have added a CRUCIAL 1GB 240-PIN 128MX72 DDR2 PC2-4200
CT12872AA53E.18FD, the same memory model used in the PPC DIMM slot. But
the result is the same, even if trying again with the original bof-file.

I was afraid about the "datapath clock rate" field in the DRAM properties,
set to 200, so I have tried to compile the project using 266, but also
this attempt failed.

3. Has somebody never tried to use this project on its ROACH board?
4. What frequency is more appropriate for this memory model?

I think that something is missing or just not well updated.

Hope some of you can help me...it will be my pleasure to make available to
this community the updated and working version.

Cheers,
Andrea

Andrea Mattana

Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica