Hello all

The KAT offices were visited by Netronome last week. They have acquired Intel's
network processor technology and design ASICs containing 10GbE MACs with lots
of little processor cores (40). There's also an onboard ARM processor for
control and monitoring, some onboard cache memory and interfaces to optional
external memories. They also sell off-the-shelf cards with their processors to
slot into COTS computers so you don't have to design your own board. The boards
can also be used stand-alone (don't need a computer host).

These processors are designed for deep packet inspection and are used in
routers and high end switches. They do exactly what many CASPERites are trying
to do these days... processing streaming network data in realtime. Without a
more in-depth study, it's difficult to quantify how much processing horsepower
is available and how well our algorithms would map onto these devices. The cost
of these devices is comparable with FPGAs but they have a nicer programming
environment (C). They are also keen to work with us and have offered free
access to their tools and are even willing to consider adding custom op-codes
to their next-gen devices for us.

They will be in the Bay area in February and I'd suggest those CASPERites
nearby should get together for a chat. It looks like an interesting technology.
If any CASPERites are interested in evaluating these devices, I can put you in
contact with someone there and we can organise a copy of the compiler tools.

Jason