I've also experienced these.  The most common cause seems to be a constant
which is not "sampled".  I don't have a good rule, but sometimes when I
start removing components on my design, it starts working, which shows me
the element at fault.  In general, placing a component which is known to
work on its own into a larger system does not cause problems.

Then there's also the times where I reduce the entire system to something
trivial like a counter and it still happens.  In that case I save copies of
everything and reboot.  Followed by  anger management.