Hey Oliver

Running out of disk space or permissions problems with temp directories can cause super slow compiles. We ran into something (vaugely) similar as we had multiple people running compiles at once causing havoc in temp directories.

You might try explicitly setting these in your simulink startup script, e.g.
export DSP_CACHE_DIR=/tmp/dan
export TEMP=/tmp/dan2
export TMP=/tmp/dan3

And see if that helps? Another option would be to delete the contents of ~/.Xilinx (I admit that I don't know what these do, but it is at the very least cathartic to obliterate them and it hasn't caused me any issues).

Cheers
Dan
20 November 2013 13:32
I thought it might be that and increased the heap memory to 512 MB, but to avail. I'll try increasing it even more.

------
Oliver King
Senior Scientist
Astronomy Department, Caltech
+1-626-395-4197

20 November 2013 13:30
Hi Oliver,
This may be related to the java heap memory issue I ran into recently.
Check the mailing list archive for details on increasing the heap and
see if that helps.

Glenn

20 November 2013 13:29
Hi,

I'm trying to blackbox a PFB / FFT combination (following the instructions at https://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/images/a/a4/Black_box_memo.pdf), and am running into a problem.

The compilation gets to the "Compiling: Propagating sample times" step and stays there forever. There are two short bursts of CPU activity when the "Propagating sample times" step starts, but the CPU activity then drops away to zero and stays there. After a day or so I lose patience and kill the process.

No error messages are printed to the screen other than a warning about the model not having continuous states, use VariableStepDiscrete instead, etc. Explicitly specifying a discrete solver, as this warning suggests, makes no difference.

I am able to black box simple models that use only Xilinx basic elements, so I know that the toolflow is working. However, any model that includes either the pfb_fir_real or the fft_wideband_real blocks from the CASPER DSP Blockset encounters the problem described above.

The particulars of my setup:
ska-sa mlib_devel, commit a8c43a8f90
64 bit linux (redhat)
Matlab 2012b
Xilinx 14.3

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Cheers,
Oliver

------