> Running out of disk space or permissions problems with temp directories can
> cause super slow compiles. We ran into something (vaugely) similar as we had
> multiple people running compiles at once causing havoc in temp directories.
>
> You might try explicitly setting these in your simulink startup script, e.g.
> export DSP_CACHE_DIR=/tmp/dan
> export TEMP=/tmp/dan2
> export TMP=/tmp/dan3

Bingo -- we have a winner!

For some reason this worked. I was able to compile other designs before making
this change, so I don't think it was a permissions error unless the designs
that compiled successfully didn't need a DSP_CACHE_DIR. The disk usage in the
newly-defined directories isn't very much (~10's of MB), so I can't have been
running out of space wherever it was dumping stuff before.

> And see if that helps? Another option would be to delete the contents of
> ~/.Xilinx (I admit that I don't know what these do, but it is at the very
> least cathartic to obliterate them and it hasn't caused me any issues).

Fortunately, I did not have to resort to the nuclear option.

Thanks for your help!

Oliver

> Cheers
> Dan