And if you're wondering why it's only ever toggling between -1 and 0, it's
because most ADCs are biased centred around -0.5, not 0. This is so that
they're symmetrical in positive and negative swing (remember two's complement
for an 8 bit number will be -128 to +127). Some will let you adjust this offset.

Jason