Just following up on this, because I just did something reckless and
actually bought a MATLAB license.

I can compile a simple design with some counters and yellow blocks with
just MATLAB, Simulink, and Fixed Point Designer toolbox. This is the
absolute minimum to get anything to work. (The UFix/Fix datatype isn't
supported without the fixed-point toolbox, and this is needed everywhere).

It looks like the DSP System Toolbox is used by some of the ADC yellow
block simulation circuits (which often use downsample blocks). I suspect
this requirement can be worked around.

I haven't yet encountered anything that needs the signal processing
toolbox, though I haven't tried compiling anything with any significant DSP
content.

Cheers
Jack