Hi Casperites,

FYI:  On the ZCU111 board, Xilinx misdesigned the fan control.  Thus the fan is
always running full speed, which is why the fan on these boards is so loud.
It’s not really Xilinx’s fault.  It happened because the manufacturer’s
documentation for the fan controller chip is especially poor, which resulted in
a FULLSPD pin being high when it should be low — overriding normal fan control
and forcing the fan to full speed permanently.

The good news: there are both hardware and software fixes.  There is a GPIO
connected to the FULLSPD pin, for monitoring it.  This GPIO can be flipped from
an input to an output in software to override the pullup resistor that’s
pulling the FULLSPD pin high.  Alternately, the pin right next to the FULLSPD
pin is ground, and a solder bridge can be put on the board to pull the pin
permanently low for a hardware fix.

Either fix works to restore quiet operation to the board.  The only consequence
would be that the fixes interfere with the monitoring of this pin, but as far
as I know there is no software that actually monitors it.  I’ve fixed my board
in hardware with no adverse consequences to either standalone or linux
applications.

For further information you can search for “ZCU111 Fan” on google or the Xilinx
forums, or follow this link:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Evaluation-Boards/ZCU111-Fan-Oddities/td-p/926050

<https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Evaluation-Boards/ZCU111-Fan-Oddities/td-p/926050>

Ross