Hi Casperites,

I’ve just released an application for the Xilinx ZCU111 FPGA board that allows
you to quickly view signal spectrums, measure cable delays, measure filter
magnitude/phase transfer functions and channel imbalance, view time waveforms,
and generate test signals.

It supports multiple options for control, to allow it to be used as a benchtop
lab instrument (DisplayPort/USB connection) or to be used for viewing signals
of remote systems (Ethernet/HTTP connection).

It’s simple to start — just put the two boot files on a microSD card, insert
the card, set the boot options to boot from the card, and turn it on.

Some downsides:  The ZCU111 doesn’t have the filtering of a commercial test
instrument, so you have to be careful about aliases from other Nyquist zones
interfering with your measurements.  Precise calibration is also not available.
 The ZCU111 doesn’t have much input protection, so you have to be careful what
you connect.  Another downside is that I charge $200 for it (honor system; free
30-day evaluation).

I think you’ll find it highly useful — I do — and also worth the price.  It’s
not going to compare with the high-end scientific instruments that many on this
list build, but it might help build those systems more quickly and more
accurately.

You can view a video of it or download it from the “BxB Demo 1” tab on my web
site, www.bitbybitsp.com <http://www.bitbybitsp.com/>.

Regards,

Ross

https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/E90E4E69-CB7D-4B2E-93ED-EF2E67F270C2%40ieee.org.