Thanks for taking a stab at this, Mark.

I'm not a fan of teaching this by showing CF-spanning rows.  (The
bigtable paper does this IIRC but it's wrong. :)

You can have data in different CFs with the same key, yes, but all
that means is they will be stored on the same nodes.  Each CF is
stored separately on disk and queried separately and the common case
is that they _won't_ have keys in common, rather than the reverse.

-Jonathan