On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:24:11 -0800 "Coe, Robin" <robin....@bluecoat.com> wrote:

CR> Why pass a map of credentials?  Why not follow the standard approach
CR> of opening the connection with the credentials, as in tr.open( uid,
CR> passwd )?  For now, that can be an overloaded method call that would
CR> leave the existing API as-is.

I would rather start with an unauthenticated connection, which is just
as standard (e.g. the IMAP protocol uses that approach, among many
others).  Otherwise you either end up with two open() methods or you
have extra code to handle null or failing credentials in the open()
method, and it has two failure modes.  Instead I would like to layer the
functionality: open() is for establishing the connection, login() is for
authenticating, setKeyspace() is for authorization.

UID and password are not the only credentials possible so I left it
open.  For example, we could pass tokens or anything else that fits in a
String.  I would rather have used Comparable but Thrift doesn't have
that as a basic type :)

Ted