Hi David.
3 million is a good size. I would say it is a 'medium'
but it really depends on a lot of factors, and what exactly you are indexing.
as a rule of thumb if you can fit the index in memory you'll be fine.
It also depends on how much of a long tail you have, how often you update the
index (each commit clears the caches)
and how complex your queries are. I've found the number of commits plays a
bigger part than the physical size.

You should get a full size index up and benchmark it, in normal operation to be
sure.

you can also install Solr in 'distributed' mode, which lets you scale it out
further.

--
Ian Holsman
i...@holsman.net