On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Brian Frank Cooper
<coop...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I’m running 0.5 and I had 2 nodes up and running, then added a 3rd node in
> bootstrap mode. I understand from other discussion list threads that the new
> node doesn’t serve reads while it is bootstrapping, but does that mean it
> won’t connect at all?

it doesn't start the thrift listener until it is bootstrapped, so yes.

(you can tell when it's bootstrapped by when it appears in nodeprobe
ring.  0.6 also adds bootstrap progress reporting via jmx.)

> When I try to connect from my java client, or
> cassandra-cli, I get the exception below. Is it the expected behavior?
> (Also, cassandra-cli says “Connected to xxx.yahoo.com” even though it isn’t
> really connected...)

This is fixed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-807
for 0.6, fwiw.

-Jonathan