Grr... user error, kind of.  I was uncompressing the packages with a program named
WinAce - and it was kindly not showing or uncompressing any of the files at the root
directory.  Now that I did it with winzip, all is nearly good.

There is one error in the build scripts, however.  In build.bat, %JAVA% needs double
quotes around it, as does %JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar

(without the double quotes, it fails on a system where java is installed in a
directory with spaces in it, such as C:\Program Files\)

Thanks,

Dan