Robert,

please see my previous reply...it's the difference between using
non-static and static unmarshal method. All non-static configuration on
the Unmarshaller cannot be accessed via the static unmarshal method,
which you were using in your first example.

Now you are using a non-static method, which is why the
setIgnoreExtraElements works.

--Keith