On 29 Jun 2004, at 09:42, Werner Guttmann wrote:
I'd be the first one to contribute, as I plan to add support for lazy-loading simple 1:1 relations.

I have to agree with your statements; let's make this clear. In open source projects, code talks. It's all well and good having a talking shop where everyone sits around discussing the right way to do things, but sooner or later, someone needs to get their hands dirty and code. The guy who does the work is the guy who makes the decisions about what he codes.

The problems I see WRT performance are broader issues than just a lazy-load solution; lazy loading, at the moment, is limited to the space of a single transaction, and I needed a more general, wider solution that solved the problem long after the initial load of the object. My issues are unusual, as is my use of the data objects I load, and so I see no issue with the actions that have been taken to date.

As a matter of fact, I'm happy with it the way that it is; if I felt that my special case was something that could easily be solved within the scope of the Castor framework, I'd have hacked up the castor framework to implement my required solutions and offered the patches back to the community. I'm an unusual, special case, and I know it, so I'm happy for it to be done just the way it is right now.

It's important that we all remember that this isn't a commercial project, we're not paying these people to do our work for us. If there's something we desperately want done, then we have to be prepared to get our hands dirty. If we're not willing to get our hands dirty, then we have to question what right we have to make demands on the free time of others when we won't even give our own.

So, if you want something done desperately, then submit patches on a bug number; the tracking system is where all of the important discussion takes place, and as Werner said, it works very well for this project. It's well managed, it's all well discussed, and there's a lot of important discussion, and more importantly the decisions that were made during those discussions, immortally recorded in the issue tracking system along with the patches provided to make those things happen.

So, thumbs up to the team for great project management, and a generally fantastic implementation.

I now end my afternoon babble.  :)