On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM, PJ Eby <p...@telecommunity.com> wrote:
> I haven't seen anybody mention it yet, but checkouts of development
> versions are a use case that can't currently be addressed without
> support for multiple external links.  For example, setuptools itself
> offers SVN checkout URLs for two different branches.  I've also seen
> in-development packages offered via github or bitbucket checkouts as
> well.

These versions should not be installed unless the installer is
explicitly told to install just those versions, so that is really not
connected to this issue.
You should of course be able to install files both locally and from a
specific URL.

But the development tgz created and hosted on github should IMO never
be installed by just saying "easy_install frobnitz" or even
"easy_install frobnitz==1.3.4dev5"

//Lennart