On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And by the way, this hasn't been mentioned, but I really mean *all*
> mentions of Google Code on PyPI.  pip crawls Google Code not just
> because Google Code listed as an official site for my package or
> because the latest release is there, but because a single old release
> points there.

Right.

My suggestions to move forward on this issue is as follows:

1. New versions of pip and distribute are released that will start
warning if they download distributions that are not from PyPI, unless
explicitly given a URL to download.

2. After a pre-determined period (6 months?) new versions are again
released that no longer download from external sites, unless a
parameter is added. We still warn when the parameter is added that
this feature will go away.

3. After a year or two we drop the external download completely.

I also have suggestions for going forward in general:

1. As far as I can tell, there is no way to ask PyPI what version of
the API it's running. Is this correct? If so that should be added. For
the /simple/ API we could stick a version header as metadata in the
header, maybe?

2. We determine a version number that will break backwards
compatibility, is every major version increase.

3. New versions of pip and distribute will check these version numbers
and warn (but not fail) if the major version increases, noting that
it's time to upgrade.

//Lennart