you will find that most here use Template Toolkit, but i prefer HTML::Mason, because i can do really interesting things with an OO- based templating system. but embedding perl into HTML may not be what you mean by "promotes good practices" .. mason is pretty agnostic in that regard, but you can develop and enforce your own good practices.