What would that achieve that passing literal SQL chunks for SELECT, FROM,
WHERE etc. wouldn't?

Readability. Complex SQL statements are more clear to understand than complex dbix "statements" when you are not an author of DBIX ;) I can also test it with simple copy&paste to sql console to see how it works, how it is planned / optimized.

I know it is ORM and database abstraction, I'm theoretically independent from my DB vendor and so on, but it doesn't change the fact it is more complicated, more "noise", more "strange" -opt { qw[col1 col2] } than pure SQL statement.

And when all this Catalyst/Dbix stuff is so flexible - why I should fight with such approach?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.hurra-communications.com/
$ o m e    t e a m  .  d e v e l o p e r