I agree with you, using DBIx for simple stuff is fine, but after a while raw
SQL is sometimes nice to have.

I cant figure out how to return the data in object form, but this will at
least give you some data:

__PACKAGE__->load_components(qw/
       ResultSetManager
       PK::Auto
       Core
       /);

sub get_data : ResultSet {
   my ($self) = @_;
   my $dbh = $self->result_source->schema->storage->dbh;

   ## use the handle, return data
}

http://search.cpan.org/~JROBINSON/DBIx-Class-0.07005/lib/DBIx/Class/Manual/Cookbook.pod#Predefined_searches_without_writing_a_ResultSet_class

But this is not so useful if you cant return it in object form.  (Want to be
able to call functions/associations on that object).  CDBI does it with
sth_to_objects, and there is a CDBI compatibility layer, but I cant seem to
get it working correctly.

John

On 5/22/07, Adam Bartosik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What would that achieve that passing literal SQL chunks for SELECT,
FROM,
> WHERE etc. wouldn't?

Readability. Complex SQL statements are more clear to understand than
complex dbix "statements" when you are not an author of DBIX ;)
I can also test it with simple copy&paste to sql console to see how it
works, how it is planned / optimized.

I know it is ORM and database abstraction, I'm theoretically independent
from my DB vendor and so on, but it doesn't change the fact it is more
complicated, more "noise", more "strange" -opt { qw[col1 col2] } than
pure SQL statement.

And when all this Catalyst/Dbix stuff is so flexible - why I should
fight with such approach?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.hurra-communications.com/
$ o m e    t e a m  .  d e v e l o p e r

Searchable archive: