Are you using the CGI Template Toolkit plugin thingy? Don't. This will cause your problem as described. If not you've given us insufficient information

Fastcgi is easier to setup on shared hosting, and has some advantages. CATALYST_ENGINE=HTTP::Prefork script/myapp_server.pl is pretty simple and can be reverse proxied pretty easily. Install C::E::HTTP::Prefork from CPAN and give it a shot...