On 22/11/2013 12:33 AM, Bill Moseley wrote:

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM, neil.lunn <n...@mylunn.id.au <mailto:n...@mylunn.id.au>> wrote:

    This approach may work for you is the compressed data is actually
    in a scalar and not too large. And not too small. YMMV.

    my $z = read_file "product.json.gz";

    my $io = IO::Scalar->new( \$z );
    $io->seek( -4, 2 );
    $io->read( my $buf, 4);

    my $uncompressed_size = unpack( 'V', $buf );

This indeed does work in my tests. Thanks for all the help, Neil. I really appreciate the time you spent on this.

No prob. Part of my thing on list reponses is that there is a seed for others to learn from what was discussed. I do wonder if there is a sane way to test for an in memory file handle and give a more appropriate warning, but that is for further discussion.

--
Bill Moseley
mose...@hank.org <mailto:mose...@hank.org>

---