Hi all,

This afternoon, Matt Medler, Chris Wiley, Mike Harvey and I decided to
take an afternoon trip up to Montezuma, braving the strong south winds.
On the way north, we made the obligatory stop at Myers and Long Point, and
saw nothing at either location.  Making it to the Visitor Center at the
refuge, we found the impoundment next to the center was full of geese.  We
estimated 1500 Canada Geese, as well as around 100 Snow Geese.  Among the
Snow Geese was an adult ROSS' GOOSE feeding among the Snows.  We had
excellent views of the bird at fairly close range.  By the time we left
the Visitor Center around 3 PM, a number of Canada Geese had left the
impoundment, but the Snow Geese (with the Ross') remained.

This is a fairly early date for Ross' Goose in New York State.

We then checked the Wildlife Drive, and Mays Point, seeing little of
interest.  At Tschache, there was a large group of American Wigeon, with
one male EURASIAN WIGEON in the distance.  There were also 3 Trumpeter
Swans near the back of the pool, and one Lesser Scaup with some Redheads.

East Road held little of interest, with perhaps 300 Canada Geese, and some
Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons.  A quick check of the Mucklands turned
up a single AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER with some Killdeer in the freshly
plowed field.

Good birding,
Shawn Billerman